Search

Trophyhorse.com.com Forum · Appaloosa

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Bunch of slightly cutting breds in liquidation
 Autumnwood Ranch
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/26/2013 5:18:19 PM reply with quote send message to Autumnwood Ranch Object to Post   

Was starting to work on incorporating cutting traits into my generally balance/wp/halter line, but due to a recent announcement about how the judging will work I realized I would never, literally never, be able to catch up and become competitive. So rather than throw good money after bad, I tossed the lot of them. Don't know if any of them will be useful for anything, but if anyone wants to look they're there. All listed under Darkwatch Stables (my appaloosa account, posting is still broken from there heh).
 Shaykh Stables
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2013 11:43:06 AM reply with quote send message to Shaykh Stables Object to Post

What recent announcement are you referring to? I don't remember reading about it. If there are going to be changes I would sure like to know about them.
 Autumnwood Ranch
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2013 2:39:27 PM reply with quote send message to Autumnwood Ranch Object to Post

www.showhorse.com/login/philboard_read.aspx?id=18147

That thread, Frenchman posted a response from Jeff as to if the stats are going to be capped and Jeff said that no, he was going to stick with the infinite higher is better method.

Basically, even if you're willing to sacrifice every other trait and only look at the cutting traits, the best you can ever do is improve on your own numbers.

But unless you get very lucky and some top breeders quit or have horses seized and you can get them, you'll mostly just be improving against yourself. Which is great and all, but will likely never result in actually becoming competitive because to become competitive in the ring, you need to improve against everyone else. And since there is no cap, as fast as you improve they improve, and they started higher.

You start with scores of 90 and improve them to 100... meanwhile, the people you bought the 90's from have bred the 100's that they kept and improved them to 110. So you're just as far behind as when you started, just the numbers are higher.

And that's if you're willing to sacrifice every other stat - if your goal is to NOT be breeding one trick ponies that are only useful for one thing (and if they aren't, they're ENTIRELY useless for EVERYTHING - you can't say well, it's a crappy cutting horse but it's really even and has a temperament of 43, maybe it would be good for WP or breeding WP horses in other words), well... it might not be impossible, but it's close enough that I just don't feel it is worth the effort for me personally.

Especially since you very, very quickly run out of outside studs you CAN use - because everyone else, being brighter than you, saw the writing on the wall and only bred for the important traits for just that event. So if you use their great cutting stud to raise your cutting traits, you end up tanking everything else... and if you use one of the great WP bred horses, you end up tanking your cutting traits heh.

TL;DR version - nothing is changing, which is the problem and why I'm choosing not to continue wasting time trying to breed a line that has cutting traits as high as everything else.
 Shaykh Stables
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2013 12:45:48 AM reply with quote send message to Shaykh Stables Object to Post

You are so right. For me to keep winning I have to almost ignore the other traits and breed for the stock traits. But I am trying to breed up the traits to include good stock traits, but it isn't easy. Because Jeff hasn't put in boundaries, to keep winning you are forced to keep going higher.
 Autumnwood Ranch
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2013 11:46:39 PM reply with quote send message to Autumnwood Ranch Object to Post

If he ever decides to reconsider, I can start over then -- really though, I try to emulate the type of breeder I would buy from in real life. The ones who don't just focus on one thing, but rather, that try to breed a great all around horse who can be competitive in multiple disciplines. And they do exist... you practically can't throw a dart at an issue of the Appaloosa Journal and not hit stud ads for stallions with ROMs etc in halter, pleasure (often both english and western) and usually 2-3 other things too. And the lists of their foals' accomplishments can often be just about every event the ApHC has in it's sponsored shows, and probably a few they don't! They even have lifetime awards for versatility that require if I remember right four or five performance events and halter ROMS.

If the best I can do is a generally balanced line that occasionally throws something that might do well in WP, that's what I'll do. But I'd really prefer if it were at least *possible* to go for the gold so to speak. But if you work on all the stats, you just won't improve as fast as people who are only concentrating on a fraction of them. Which is fine by me, as long as I know eventually I'll be able to catch up! Tortoise and the hare, you know?

Replies in this thread : 4